dinsdag 29 augustus 2006

Sophie vs Keren


No special reason to post these two tracks, but hey, apart from being beautiful, no track needs a special reason to be posted here. L'Onde Amère is taken from Keren Ann's most recent album Nolita (2004), a delicate, bit sad song about, well, being sad actually - L'Onde Amère translates as Bitter Stream. It was covered by Sophie Hunter and Guy Chambers for their fantastic 2005 Isis Project-cd (for which Keren wrote all lyrics). They made it less sad, more melancholic, with added strings. Although I love the Keren Ann original, this version is my favourite - the organ, the choir, Sophie's voice, it sounds (like the whole album does) like a closing theme of a movie.
Sophie was supposed to be a promising actress, but a part from Hollywood film Vanity Fair, her filmography stayed a bit empty. Great things to come, still? How about another album?!

Keren Ann - L'Onde Amère
Guy Chambers & Sophie Hunter (The Isis Project) - L'Onde Amère

1 opmerking:

  1. Hello. L'Onde Amère is my favourite song on Nolita, and probably one of my 3 favourite songs by Keren Ann (together with Ailleurs and Suranée, perhaps). Of course, I already have it, and it's on several of my CDR comps, so that I'm sure I can hear it on my car stereo, whatever disc I take on a trip!!!. The cover version is also very interesting. So, thank you for these and the Charlotte posts, btw ;-)))

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen