woensdag 11 januari 2006

En Duo: Valerie & Benjamin


We've already had Louis Bertignac, Laurent Voulzy, Serge Gainsbourg and Benjamin Biolay in this En Duo-series, so it's about time Valerie Lagrange made her entrance, who connects all these men. On of the grand dames of both French cinema (she acted in Un Homme et Un Femme, and Les Idoles) and music - her first single was released in 1964, her biggest hit outside France is La Folie from 1981. Gainsbourg wrote some great songs for her.

After a lot of drama in her life (her first husband commited suicide), al lot of travelling and fundraising (in the wake of Live Aid) she made a grand comeback in 2003, under the wings of Benjamin Biolay. Album Fleuve Congo saw her working with Voulzy and Bertignac, cover Brassens and duet with Biolay. That song is very beautiful, slow, tender, deep and meaningful. To say the least.

Valerie Lagrange & Benjamin Biolay - La Chanson de Tessa
Hear Here

6 opmerkingen:

  1. I've really been enjoying your duets series!!!! Thank you!
    Valerie Lagrange has quite a memorable screen presence and I really enjoyed Fleuve Congo when it came out - I'll make a point of listening to it again soon!
    (I'm in the process of re-organizing my messy and out of control collection - I have music stored away in every box, closet, corner, and drawer - just to make room to live in my small city space - and I keep on getting distracted because I happen upon treasures I'd forgotten I had!)
    Too bad her earlier releases are hard/expensive to come by in the US... i'm sure many would be thrilled if you posted some of her brilliant previous recordings if you have them at hand.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I hear ya - I've just got rid of 150 vinyl records that were clogging up my closets. It helped - a little.
    I'm sure Valerie will be visiting FillesSourires in the coming months.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. It's an album I keep returning to. It's mellow, it's cool, and historically ties a few knots together. Like Katerine did on the Anna Karina album. Essential.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. I am Spanish and I like your page, I order you this duo between Francoise Hardy and J. Dutroc:
    Bye.....
    http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3392LPGRI8EWV0IVDYWKKY6504

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Hey Guuzbourg, what a great month! I'm loving those songs. Are you planning to post any song with Marc Lovoine? I have song great duets, if you want something just let me know.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Thanks anonymous, but I already had that song (and will post it later on).

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen