dinsdag 30 oktober 2007

Charlotte, Calexico & Bob


I thought I was well informed on the recording career of Charlotte Gainsbourg, but no. For the soundtrack to Todd Haynes' kind of eccentric movie about Bob Dylan called I'm Not There - with three actors playing Dylan, including Cate Blanchett (see picture) - Charlotte recorded a cover of BD's Just Like a Woman. Together with Calexico who, as you may know, like to record with French women: they did it earlier with Francoiz Breut, Marianne Dissard and Valerie Leulliot. (Thanks to this blog, I heard about it)
Never thought I would ever post a song from Dylan here - I have an ambiguous relation with him. I like his songs, I loathe his singing voice, but I love hearing him talk on his radioshow. Same with Bruce Springsteen - some great songs, but I don't want to hear 'm sung by the Boss.

Charlotte Gainsbourg - Just Like a Woman
Bob Dylan - Just Like a Woman

6 opmerkingen:

  1. I understand your Dylan sentiments. However, Charlottte's version of "Just Like a Woman" is both beautiful and inspired. :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Merci, I am always happy to hear a new Charlotte song. I agree with you about Bob, his voice is awful, his songwriting is wonderful.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Wow, whispering galore. Sounds hot 'n great!
    The only recordings by Dylan I can handle are those with Johnny Cash from 1969 as his voice isn't yet that awful (imho it reamains worse and worse as time goes by).
    But Charlotte for sure can also do good things with Springsteen's oeuvre. May I suggest 'Further On (Up The Road)', Charlotte?

    And, of course, props to Calexico too.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. It always puzzles me when someone says they like Dylan's songs, but not the way he sings them...

    Guess some people just don't use their ears...

    As Columbia put it in the 1960's in a marketing campaign: 'No-one sings Dylan like Dylan'

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. I had the same thing with Morrissey - then one day his voice was honey to my ears. Maybe me & Bob's voice can come to terms too.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. marvy.
    it's a song about the doomed superstar edie sedgwick- double marvy!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen