dinsdag 11 april 2006

Jacqueline


This Sunday, a real legend will play at the Amsterdam Beatclub: Tunis-born Jacqueline Taïeb, who got famous thanks to the stomping 7 Heures Du Matin (from 1967), but wrote a bunch of songs for Yves Montand, Michel Fugain, Maurane, Jeane Manson, Stone, Dave, Fabienne Thibault and Dana Dawson too. As her website states, at nearly 60 years old she's still l’objet d’un véritable culte in cities all over the world. I know rock'n roll legend Wanda Jackson can still set stages on fire, I wonder if Jacqueline is able to do the same - anyone heard her 'new' album Jacqueline Taïeb is back?
This show (where Natachka will be dj'ing) is the kick-off to a whole week of French live-shows in Holland; on Wednesday 19 and Thursday 20th of April, R&B/Soul-singer Anggun, flamenco-hero Thierry Robin and partyhardy-gang Les Blerots de RAVEL will be playing in the Melkweg and Nighttown. And, ofcourse, on Sunday April 23 not only the charming Myrtille will play @ the Amsterdam Odeon Theater, Natashka and yours truly are dj'ing afterwards, courtesy of the Putumayo label, who are presenting their Paris-cd.
On y va?

Jacqueline Taïeb - Le Printemps à Paris
Anggun - Un de Toi
Myrtille - L'echo

5 opmerkingen:

  1. "Jacqueline Taieb is Back" is basically a comeback album of modern pop music. It cannot really be compared to what she did 40 years ago. Her voice sounds like that of Nicoletta's. The DVD I got as well is much of the same. I can only admire her laidback attitude in playing one night in Amsterdam because she thinks it's cool. That's very sixties!

    (Lucky me, I'll be MCing this evening as well!)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Yikes.. I wish I lived in the EU!We never get any of these legends here in the US.
    I know you will enjoy the show - give her my warmest regards and let her know she has devotees from across the world!
    Jauqeline Taieb might well shine - and I haven't expeienced the new "pop" album - through a selectively curated revisiting ala Wanda Jackson with the help of her more accomplished devotees.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. so close, yet so far away, dammit!
    i wish i could be there but alas...
    a report on the evening's proceedings is much appreciated ofcourse...

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. I'll surely score some pictures and they'll get posted on my site with a good blurb.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. I just found that her album "the French Mademoiselle" (all 60's tracks) is on iTunes. Nice!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen