woensdag 28 mei 2008

Celine Mastrorelli


Merci à Ron for sending me an mp3 of the coverversion Celine Mastrorelli made for him of the Kinks' I Go to Sleep. Yes, it's a Kinks-song, although that was only released in it's demo-version. The Pretenders made the song famous, lots of coverversions followed - recently by Sia, for instance. Celine recorded it in one take, plus a few vocal overdubs. Although not in French, Celine's a new fille on the block that needs to be promoted as much as possible. Don't you agree?
UPDATE:
Anonymous commenters mentioned French versions of I Go to Sleep, by Virginie. I found a French version by Julie Pietri. If you have/know more, please email me guuzbourg(a)gmail.com Thanks to Franss, for the Virginie version.

Celine Mastrorelli - I go to sleep
Kinks - I go to sleep
Julie Pietri - Et c'est comme si
Virginie - Tu Crois Toujours

6 opmerkingen:

  1. Hello

    I stumbled upon your blog while making some research in Google. Do you know Emilie Simon ? She's a singer with a childlike voice, but quite gloomy lyrics. You might like her, if you never heard about her..

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. i have made several posts about emilie simon.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Virginie recorded the song in French in the 60s as "Vous N'Avez Rein Compris". It's on one of the "Pop a Paris" compilations Universal put out a few years ago. Cher also recorded a 60s version :-)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. a couple of years ago a version by Suzanne Barbieri was used in a Eurostar TV ad. If I remember correctly it was in French

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. can't find that virginie version, but i found julie pietri's.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Unrivaled Kinks cover:
    sia - I Go To Sleep

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen