woensdag 9 november 2005

Brisa

Look at the cover picture. Now that's what I call dew-eyed. If I told you Paris-Match called Brisa Roché the new Billie Holiday, that she was born in California, toured as a child in Romania, sang in Parisian nightclubs and covers Salvatore Adamo on her debut album (that was released in 2002 but recently re-released by the famous Blue Note-label), you'd really want to listen. Right? Well, I did. And I'm not quite sure what to make of this 'eskimo baby'. Some kind of Madeleine Peyroux (whom I do not like)? An off-key Norah Jones who likes to rock out as well? On Brisa's album are two French songs, the aforementioned Adamo-cover Dans Le Vert de Ses Yeux (1), and self-penned Coco, recorded with trumpeteer Erik Truffaz (2). Both are posted here. What do you think?

Hear here 1.

Hear here 2.

4 opmerkingen:

  1. Never heard of her, but I like the songs, especially the gypsy-ish "dans le vert" which I think may have sounded even better as an acoustic recording. I also like the (jazzy) phrasing of Brisa's voice. The second song sounds like a grower.

    (Mal)apropos the melancholy "Dans le vert:" Don't know whether you like Bïa, but I sometimes do routine searches on albums or songs that are unavailable on CD or sold out. Bïa's "La memoire" is one and I recently found it at emusic.com. Appears this website carries many Saravah albums as downloads. Perhaps an inappropriate suggestion here, but then again Bïa sometimes sings in French and "La memoire" is probably her finest album. Kind of Brazil meets Argentina. Joyous, pensive, melancholy. (And a tad too long.)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. This is my first time ever hearing her voice. I love the two songs so much. I'm going to look for the album this weekend.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. So, what do you think of the album, Salome?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. I adore the album, she has a rich voice. I got it on Monday

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen