vrijdag 18 november 2005

Plus de Brigitte


Blame it on me looking too much at all these pics. Hotdammit, what a sex kitten she was back in the days. Those eyes. Those thighs. Those lips. Hmmmmm... Anyways, here's (count 'em) six versions of Harley Davidson. First up is the most famous one by Brigitte. Very pop-art, very tough-but-sensual, very Serge. So his version is next, recorded during his comebacktour in the eighties, inna reggae-stylee. Then the smokey Anita Lane, whose cover (translated by Mick Harvey, if you're into Serge Gainsbourg, you must own his two fantastic albums with brilliant covers) is in the same vein as the original.
I noticed that Filles Sourires attracts visitors from Japan. Konnichiwa. There are quite a few Japanese artists who covered Serge, for instance Kenzo Saeki, who recorded a very funny (to my ears) album with Serge-songs, under the wonderful title Camembert & Sushi. His jazzy version of Harley Davidson is up next. Then Naho's. Don't who she is, but love her electro-yeye-rendition (taken from Gainsbourg Made in Japan). Finally it's Kazuko Hohki, best known as part of the crazy Frank Chickens. Her version is inna electro-country-latinstyle.

Brigitte Bardot - Harley Davidson
Hear Here.
Serge Gainsbourg - Harley Davidson
Hear Here.
Anita Lane & Mick Harvey - Harley Davidson
Hear Here.
Kenzo Saeki - Harley Davidson
Hear Here.
Naho - Harley Davidson
Hear Here.
Kazuko Hohki - Harley Davidson
Hear Here.

Do you know of more Harley-coverversions?

13 opmerkingen:

  1. There are also versions by Gina X, Baby Birkin, Les Tres Bien Ensemble and Souvenir, all of which I love. :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Could you send me them? Pleeeeeease? guuzbourg (a) gmail.com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. pascale comelade does a version - I don't think I have a complete mp3 of it but I'll check.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. A relevant digression: Does anyone have the compilation "Lucien forever" on Pussycat Records (I think it's called). It's a Gainsbourg tribute with Katerine, Souvenir, Stereo Total and many other artists. The label's defunct and it's impossible to find the compilation and I've been looking for it... well a long time. An upload link would be so-so welcome. Roar

    (Yes, I got my own blog, bleeding hard work, it was.)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Thanks! I especially loved the last one!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Yes, I've heard the Souvenir one, great one, Decadanse

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. Marseilles-bound hip-hop group IAM also covered Harley Davidson, although with a slightly different style ;)

    (I discovered this blog through a friend, and I love it. Thanks)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. Bonjour Betrand - I've heard that IAM-version. It's so-so, imho. When it comes to Serge & hiphop, I'm more appreciative of MC Solaar sampling Bonnie & Clyde.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. I actually own a copy of Kazuko Hohki's Harley Davison on tape and I let a Japanese friend listen to it to tell if it came close to the original. She laughed her ass off the entire song and then said 'no' :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. yes as i said in an other post..... "la position du tirreur couché" sing this song in live, and gaelle is amazing.....

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. Just discovered your wonderful blog..And I am completely in love..With all those awesome Harley davidson covers....Thank you soooooooooooooo much

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  12. good post I love the Harley davidson bikes. but I think I like the girls more!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen