woensdag 10 mei 2006

Amina

On May 18, the 2006 Eurovision Contest will be held in Athens, Greece. I haven't heard the French entry yet (by Virginie Pouchain), but it's supposed to be a fairly traditional ballad. Nowadays, the songcontest is considered high-camp, mostly watched by gays (in Holland anyway).Finland is sending a blackmetal cartoon metal-band - go figure. Back in the day, some great songs won, like France Gall's Poupée de Cire, or I Treni di Tozeur by Alice & Battiato. In 1991, France had the best entry ever: Le Dernier Qui á Parlé by Amina. This hypnotizing ballad reminded me at the time of Sapho (not the Greek goddess poet, but the French-Moroccan singer): the same mix of modern Western pop and North-african melancholy. What a great voice. Amina became second, she had the same amount of points as Norway's Sweden's Carola, but lost because the latter had more douze points-votes. Dommage.

Amina - Le Dernier Qui á Parlé

15 opmerkingen:

  1. Oh yes what a pity, Amina was almost the winner of the contest ! It was great to mix arabic and french lyrics. This year's song is awful, very boring. It's written by french singer Corneille !

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Finland always loses. Why not send a metal band? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4926020.stm

    If Celine Dion (cough!) can represent France, France Gall can represent Luxembourg and Israel can participate, anything goes.

    Keep us posted!
    Sappho was a Greek poet, not a goddess :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Whoei.
    Sapho, one of my most early bought records. A double one: Sapho Live Au Bataclan, if I do remember well. Hypnotizing indeed. Should put it on my turntable again, thanks for reminding me ;)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. They sure look funny, these Finnish metalheads. There have been a lot of Eurovision-fuck-you-songs in het past time (Remember Guildo? Remember Rendez-Vous?) but if you're losing all the time, why bother participating anyway?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. "If you're losing all the time, why bother participating anyway?"

    National pride?

    1) If you don't shoot, you can't score
    2) If you're going to go down, go down in flames.
    3) Maybe they're good!

    My fav Finn metal band is Waltari. I get chills down my spine from these guys. I could go on about French metal :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Sophia Mestari to... great voice, great song, but she won nothing.

    this year's french song is more boring than usual. i used to doubt they can do worst but they succeded! they did it lol!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. "Norway's Carola"? :D I'm sure some Swedes are happy that you have given her away to Norway.. but some might be a little upset! ;) Personally I don't really care. Thanks for a brilliant blog!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. I loved that Amina song.
    I've been said that France doesn't want to win Eurovision anymore, it costs too much to organize and the tv show always flop here.
    This year my vote goes to Monaco :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. Tuurlijk. Marrakech is mijn favoriet.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. Weet iemand hoe heet liedje heet wat vaak op TV5 komt tijdens die korte filmpjes. Tekstfragmenten zijn iets van "par amour je pense francais" "par amour je chante francais"

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. Hello!
    I was searching the web for Aminas song from the Eurovision in 1991, and came over this blog. I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am that the french contribution didn`t win that year. I must say that I`m NOT a fan of the SWEDISH Carola, and I`m also very happy that she`s not from Norway, where I`m from... ;)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen