donderdag 24 januari 2008

French Wishing: Marianne Faithfull


Guestpost-with-a-twist from Romke. Read on!

Don't forget Marianne Faithfull, who did an entire French album at the end of the sixties or in the early seventies. Unfortunately, somebody stole my vinyl, and I'm not sure it was released on cd.
I also found this video on YouTube. Badly mimed, but still great. There may be more if you search for them. Being a near-sixty year old myself I confess that I've been a MF fan for over 40 years, and is great to see she's still around.
Interesting anecdote from her latest book: as a result of an OD in Australia (I think)the perfectly bilingual MF lost her capability to speak and understand French in one single day. Even today, living in Paris, she doesn't understand a word when people speak French to her!

Marianne Faithfull - Coquillage

3 opmerkingen:

  1. Odd story about her, losing the capability to speak French.
    But a great French wish she is!
    Too bad I didn't like the song that much, I think I'd expected more :-(

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. i never knew she did an entire french album - that is something i would LOVE to hear

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. I know this is an oldish entry, but I just wanted to alert you to a wonderful clip posted on
    youtube of marianne faithfull's appearance in Anna, the 1967 tv musical penned by Serge Gainsbourg--I have been on a quest to find that film ever since I got the soundtrack two years ago (on which Marianne's song does not appear, oddly enough).

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCpJ39wOuzs

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen