maandag 24 november 2008
I want to make a list of our favourite French albums by filles - so please send your Top Five of albums released by French singing girls, released in 2008, to guuzbourg(a)gmail.com. And please, add a short motivation. Deadline is December 10, after that I will count everyting and publish the Filles Sourires Top Album List 2008.
To give you some inspiration, here's my top 5:
1. Coeur de Pirate - Coeur de Pirate. Young Beatrice from Montreal made an astonishing debut-album, highly emotional as young girls can get, but musically very mature. No matter at what hour I play this, it forces me to listen very closely. Aurgasm still has two mp3s.
2. Berry - Mademoiselle. And there she was, all of a sudden. The girl with the smile in her voice, and the urge to put world-music influences in her great songs. My favourite late-summer-evening record.
3. Francoiz Breut - A L'Avleuglette. Post-rock with a fragile twist. Live, during the Filles Fragiles night in Leiden, Francoiz and Boris were absolutely gorgeous.
4. Marianne Dissard - L'Entredeux. Joey and John from Calexico: merci bien. Thanks for mixing desert rock and mariachi trumpets, thanks for including husky female singers and thanks for inspiring Marianne Dissard (and playing on her record).
5. Loane - Jamais seule. Hotlipped girls sings tender ballads and country-ish uptempo pop songs. One to watch.