maandag 12 september 2005

Emilie


Have you seen March of the Penguins (French title: La Marche de l'empereur) yet? It was a big hit in France, was a sleeper hit this summer in the U.S.A, and it's coming out in Holland soon. It's a documentary about, ehm, the mating of emperor penguins. With both beautiful and very harsh images.

The reason why I'm posting a song from the soundtrack is that it was made by Emilie Simon. She debuted in 2003 with a very atmospherique album (no title), that because of the electronic, trip-hoppy music made her the French Björk. She writes and produces all her music, on the soundtrack she played f.i. piano, celesta, glockenspiel and claviers. I saw a very good live-session of her on TV5 once. She's one of the few filles sourires ever to come to Holland, and even though I had tickets, I DID NOT GO! To punish myself even harder, I let my good friend Luba do an interview with her for the magazine I write for. He said it was heaven just to listen to her. Emilie has a really cute, almost babyish voice. God, how I regret that I wasn't on the other end. (The only fille sourire I ever spoke with, was Keren Ann. More about her later on.)

The songs on the Penguins/Empereur-soundtrack are in English, but most songs on Emilie's debut-album are in French (a cover of The Stooges' I Wanna Be Your Dog being one exception, and there's also a mini-cd with English translations available). I've posted The Frozen World from the soundtrack, and the spine-tingling Secret from her first album.

1.Hear here.

2.Hear Here.

2 opmerkingen:

  1. ooh. frozen world is gorgeous. still not entirely sure what to do with those .m4a-files though...

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen