zaterdag 10 september 2005

Marie-Jo


Finding albums by filles sourires in the Netherlands is a needle-haystack situation. Although a lot of girls are signed by major record companies, most of the time the Dutch offices decide not to release albums, or make it a 'silent release', i.e. they're releasing it, but won't promote it. That's a bit frustrating for me, if I read about a new album I'd like to hear (and buy) it right away instead of going online, trying to find a decent slsk-hook up or waiting for the postman after I bought it online.
A way to keep informed about new releases is to wander around Amazon.fr, or browse the French iTunes-Music Store. Alas, not all releases are available in the Dutch iTunes-store, but most are. That way I encountered the third album by Canadian-born Marie-Jo Therio. If I'm reading this biography right, she's an actress (mostly tv), who also sang in a musical (Les Mis, ofcourse). I'm not sure if she's a big name outside Quebec, or in France - her most recent album was signed by Naïve, the same label as Carla Bruni.
On her album, for instance the song Bodily Deltas, she's adapting an odd-sounding Frenglish persona, along with a hoarse sounding, very sexy counterpart. Or is this song a duet? I've no idea what the song's about (David Koresh is namechecked), but I really dig it. The rest of the album is pretty too, most of the time she's backed by just strings, piano and a little accordeon.

Hear here.

1 opmerking:

  1. So Natasha of Radio-Oh-La-La responded (check the links for her great radio-show), and yes, Marie-Jo is quite a big star in the French-speaking parts of Canada. There you go.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen