zaterdag 10 september 2005

Qu'est-ce qui ce passe? FAQ about FS

A musicblog about girls singing in French? Pourquoi?!
Did you listen to any of the mp3s? Did you hear the girls sing with their high, breathy voices, songs about love, lust, broken hearts, nasty men, the weather, fairytales? And you weren't enchanted, you did not feel butterflies in your belly, you did not feel the urge to write poetry by candlelight, or stare out of the window and sigh, just sigh from time to time? Strange. I do.

Why French?
It's the language of love, what can I say? Carla Bruni told me (face to face, yes) that it's impossible to write simple songs in French. Lyrics have to be smart, otherwise they get plain stupid. You cannot write a song like, say, Love Me Do in French, and still sound good. Lio's Bananasplit being the only exception.

So you understand everything they're singing about?
Er, no. If I concentrate real hard, I get the picture. But to quote famous Dutch bluessinger André Hazes: "You do not have to understand it to feel what it's about." He was referring to fado-queen Amalia Rodrigues, but it's the same thing for me with Françoise, Coralie, Camille, Emilie and all my other girlfriends.

Is your name really Guuzbourg?
No, it's wordplay. And ofcourse a reference to the man who inspired (or wrote songs for) lots of artists on my site. Gainsbourg is the godfather.

You post mp3s. Is this legal?
No. But mp3s are available for a short period of time, and used to promote wonderful artists who need to be heard more, all over the world. Filles Sourires is not the only musicblog out there, go see on Hype Machine to get a little taste. From the response I get, most visitors eventually buy the cd, provided they like an artist. Look at it this way: the promotional value of FS is w-a-a-a-a-y bigger than the few lousy cents artists 'lose' on me posting their music. The fact that I get mp3s offered by pr-companies and recordlabels, and lots of artists that I contact via MySpace make NO fuss about my posting at all, shows you how it can work these days.

But I am an artist and I think your so-called justification sucks! I want my mp3s taken down NOW!
Okay, hold your horses. Just send me an email: Guuzbourg(a)gmail.com. Sheez.

Where does the term Filles Sourires come from?
It is my translation of the Dutch 'Zuchtmeisjes', a moniker invented by Dutch romancier Ronald Giphart in his second novel Giph. [A literal translation would be Filles Soupir, which to me sounds like girls in a bowl of soup. That's why I chose sourire, which means 'smile', but to me sounds more delicate.] 'Zuchtmeisjes' is used for very pretty girls who, if you see them, make you want to sigh (or smile, in this case) involutarily, as a sign of affection. Is it sexual? You bet.

How did you get all ga-ga over les filles?
After hearing Coralie Clements first album. From then on, I collected as much filles sourires as I could find. When I was a teenager (back in the eighties), me & my parents went on holiday in France a lot and during our trips we listened to French radio. That also helped.

Did you release an album?
I compiled a cd called Filles Fragiles. Pop gems from French demoiselles. Almost all songs were posted on this blog before. More info here.

Who visits this blog
Lovers from all over the world. See that little green thing at the bottom of the page, that says 'sitemeter'? Click on that.

I heard French rockmagazine Les Inrocks voted you one of the 50 Best Blogs in the world. Could this be true?

You heard right. See under 'Press-links' in the Links-list on the right for more praise.

You mention Blowupdoll a lot. How come?
Filles Sourires is very much inspired by Mori Mordi and his Blowupdoll-blog. That's why.

16 opmerkingen:

  1. WOWS! glad to hear my site inspired you.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your site develop and looking forward to hearing lots of great new tunes!

    Bonne chance!

    Mordi x (not mori !)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Hi :) I think one of my favourite french albums would have to be "Edutacation anglaise" by Katerine. This is his first full-length album, his sister and another woman (a girl friend, perhaps?) sharing vocal duties. Though his last couple of solo albums are a tad disappointing, his work in the 90s is fabulous. Very much a Serge Gainsbourg of his time, writing music not only for himself but also for Anna Karina, Les Soeurs Winchester and in recent years for Helena (Noguerra) as well. Of course, now Benjamin Biolay's the new dandy (and a great one he is too). N :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. i love your site!!!

    it's re-newed my search and faith in french music!

    keep up the wonderful work!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Eine fantastische Seite !!
    Vielen Dank für all die wunderschönen Chansons und für
    deine ganze Arbeit !!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Fantastische blog!
    Ik ben sinds een paar maandjes ook helemaal geobseddeerd door Franse muziek.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Well ! if I could have a little dream to-day...
    I'm a french girl, songwriter, (my name is WATINE). I released 2 albums (english speaking with a bad charming french accent). As you say, I am a fragile sounding singer .. and hope to be a part of your "filles sourires" !
    My last album DERMAPHRODITE had a huge reporting in France (Les Inrocks, Magic Pop moderne, Trax, Radio France International, Le Mouv'....). plse, plse... take a very few to listen to the excerpts at :
    http://cdbaby.com/cd/watine
    and see my websites : www.watineprod.com
    www.myspace.com/watine


    As I am an indie producer with no marketing budget, thanks for spreading, if you like it...
    Have a nice time, take care

    Watine

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. "bravo" for your work...

    an info:
    you can find rare Camille's songs here: http://oomiaq.multiply.com/music
    click on:
    "la chanson oOmiaKoOmiaq"
    "le tUbe 2 verre"
    & "pauvre petit choU"

    aurevoir!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. Check out Irina Bjorklund's "Casse-Moi" at http://2007.sxsw.com/music/showcases/band/48343.html

    She's Swedish but singing in French -- think you'd like it.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. Hi..try vanessa and the os..a sideproject fronted by a french fille..very nice pop/rock.
    vanessaandtheos.free.fr/index.htm
    anna

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. Thank goodness I found your site. I was beginning to think I was an ageing English perv with a strange taste in music :) The more I visit and work in mainland Europe the more I realise how we are brainwashed into believing that transatlantic pop is the only valid musical form. My purchases of French CDs so far have been influenced mainly by what I manage to catch on local TV and radio. I look forward to hearing more of the artists featured on your site as well.
    My views on the current crop:
    I love Carla Bruni’s “Quelqu'un m'a dit” but “No Promises” doesn’t do it for me. IMHO she should stick to singing in French. However she seems to have no fear, so I eagerly anticipate her next experiment.
    I heard Keren Rose being interviewed on the Belgian radio station Nostalgie. She sang almost every song from the “Rose” album simply accompanying herself on the guitar, and she sounded fantastic. I stopped at Calais on the way home especially to buy the CD.
    I bought Olivier Ruiz’s “La femme chocolat” on spec simply because the title made me laugh, and the fact it was at no. 3 in the charts at the time. I’m glad I did, It’s a fascinating mixture of styles.
    Two ‘omissions’ from your site – Souad Massi and Amel Bent (new album due out soon).
    I look forward to hearing more of Camille, Ariane Moffatt, Charlotte Gainsbourg and Axelle Red to name but a few.
    Now where’s that moon? I feel a poem coming on...

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. :-)

    Amel Bent and Souad Massi coming up!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  12. Blog fantastique! Very nice work :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  13. And what about the Spanish Filles Fragiles, yesterday (Jeanette and too much more) and today (Niza, Les Tres Bien Ensemble and so on...)?

    They are wonderful!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  14. Jeanette and Les Tres Bien Ensemble were featured on FF. Niza, I will check her out

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  15. Thats right, Guuzbourg. Niza

    Check it out La buena vida too. There so many Spanish Filles Fragiles good music in Spain!!!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen