zondag 11 september 2005

Isabelle


Isabelle Aubret (real name: Therese Coquerelle) is one of the many singers who sang Gainsbourgs bittersweet Chanson de Prévert. She's mostly known for her near-fatal car accident in 1963, and her interpretations of songs by Jacques Brel. But her breathy, bit nasal voice is also perfect for this Serge song - she sounds a bit sad, though accepting. I have a few covers of Chanson de Prévert, by April March, by Claire d'Asta (I might post them later), but there have to be more. Do you know one that's better than the one by Aubret?

Hear here.

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Her 1968 album "La Source" is a very classy experience that's positioned somewhere between classic french chanson (orchestre conduite par François Rauber), Shirley Bassy jazzy diva-style, bossa nova and fille sourire. (think more or less Nicola Conte's Le Départ)

    I am not sure this album is your typical fille sourire, maybe not psychedelic enough? and too mature?, but think you'll love this album.

    Arrived in my music life in psycho-french-bubblegum-60-70-80, so this site is heaven in my current musical conquest. Had quite a good education by my parents (the singer-songwriting stuff)and by myself (the upbeat stuff), but need some more!
    Keep up.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. ze heeft ook een schitterende cover van casa forte van edu lobo. makes me cry every time. ze is een tijdje slecht gezien geweest in frankrijk omdat ze communiste was, als ik het goed begrepen heb.1

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen